Music Ministry Of Ocean View Baptist Church
The philosophy of our music ministry here at Ocean View Baptist Church is built upon two verses from Paul’s writings.
- Eph. 5:18,19 – and be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit. Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord.
- Col. 3:16 – let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
Paul told the Ephesian Church that one of the results of a Spirit filled life was speaking to one another through music and singing. To the Colossian Church he teaches that the result of a Word filled life would also be the teaching and admonishing of one other through music and singing. When the Spirit of God and the Word of God are controlling our lives, the result will be a music ministry. We believe that a Spirit filled Church and Word filled Church will be a Music filled church. We strive to make our Music ministry a teaching and admonishing ministry and we encourage people to sing with a melody in their heart and a heart that filled with God’s wonderful grace. God hears our hearts rather than our voices. All can sing and make a joyful noise to the Lord ! We don’t ask that you have a great voice to come join our worship in songs, just have a heart filled with melody and the grace of God.
These two verses also give us 3 types of music were used in the early church, giving us a foundation for the type of songs we sing.
- Psalms: ψαλμός – psalmos — psal-mos’ primarily denoted “a striking or twitching with the fingers (on musical strings);” then, “a sacred song, sung to musical accompaniment, a psalm”. The book of Psalms were all sang to stringed instruments.
- Hymns: ὕμνος – humnos — hoom’-nos denotes “a song of praise addressed to God” (Eng., “hymn”),
- Spiritual Songs:ᾠδή “an ode, song,” is always used in the NT (as in the Sept.), in praise of God or Christ. The adjective “spiritual” is added, because the word in itself is generic and might be used of songs anything but spiritual’.
We sing many of the Psalms word for word. There is no greater joy than singing God’s Word back to Him. In fact, all of the songs we do have words that are Christ centered and have Scripture to back them up. We also sing a variety of the old Hymns that everyone loves. They will always be a part of our tradition and musical heritage. The third type, Spiritual Songs, includes all the other more modern type worship songs. We do a little of everything, so no matter what your musical taste, come join us and we’re sure you will find a style you will enjoy.